Have to give credit to my dad for this idea, and he aint even a Ham.
I was trying to figure out a quick way to make my mobile easier to tranfer from being my base radio to being my car one when needed.
Ok I could buy another cord from the store for $50. Kinda expensive if you ask me for a few feet of wire.
How about homebrew, after all I'm a new ham and want to expierence as much of this great hobby as possible.
Drat, Radio Shack doesn't have the connecter I need.
Now what to do?
So my old man goes, well don't you have some old extension cords the pets destroyed? I do.
So I made a connector out of them.
Here's the design...........
I just took a couple frayed 3 prong cords. This way you can only plug it in one way, to prevent a short circut. I also made sure they were the same gauge as the radio power cord or a stronger one. I cut a couple inches of the good stuff off, exposed the inner wires, and checked the polarity of them, once, twice, three times for safety. Hooked em up and away I went.
Not to mention I also have feet and feet of extra wire for whatever else I can dream up.
Now it only takes a few seconds of disconecting the antenna, and unplugging the radio, and hooking it up in the car.
This goes into the power supply. And I have another hooked to the can battery with a fuse at the battery end, incase of a short. The good thing about this picture, is the wires are thick enough to just slide in the back of the supply snugly, and with a small tug can be pulled out in an emergency.
This end goes to the radio. Is soldered and taped. Just don't plug into a wall outlet.
All hooked up and ready to go.
This was my first homebrew and as easy as pie to do.